Thursday, August 6, 2009

Top 10: Cervices...or Cervicese...or Cervicis...or Cervixes...?


I think it is really cervices...I think. Anyway, my first full week on my own is over! The week started out pretty rough, but has ended on a really nice note.

1. I have learned that if you don't have all your ducks in a row while dealing with a precipitus labor...the Dr. might gift you with a BRAND NEW ORIFICE!

2. I have learned that crowning caput does not indicate impending delivery, but possibly three hours of pushing.

3. I have learned how to document correctly on a PIHer on 1.5 mg Magnesium Sulfate per hour.

4. I have learned that monozygotic twins CAN be delivered breech in the LDR room in an extreme emergency.

5. I have learned that, often, pre-term babies...no matter how big...may need to use a nipple shield to get things started on feedings.

6. I have learned not all cervices are created equal. Some are farther back than others...and some feel like you are checking the back side of an umbilicus!

7. I have learned draining a bladder, even just 100 ml worth, can help bring a baby down.

8. I have learned how to talk an exhausted woman...too tired to go on...into an extra hour of pushing so she can deliver her baby.

9. I have learned I am able to rely on my co-workers for support and help just about any time (THANK YOU!).

10. I have learned I can trust my instincts and I really AM capable of doing this awesome job!

2 comments:

Chanda said...

Glad you're learning more as you go!! Sounds like fun!

Holding my Breath said...

I like #10 best!